Monday, October 26

Redcaps and Comics

Recently I've been toying with the idea of drawing some comics. I've found myself doodling little characters, trying to find something that might work. Man, it's tricky!

Getting my head around even a simple strip completely blows my mind. There are so many things to consider regarding composition, detail and consistency that it can start feeling like a chore before you've even started. How should characters and backgrounds overlap? Does it matter if a chair looks different from one frame to the next? How do you handle different 'camera' angles? - look at Shultz; he kept Peanuts side-on for 50 years, he barely even zoomed in. Visually, there are so many decisions to make, without even considering little things like stories, titles, names and dialogue.

Of course, that's getting ahead of things considering I've only doodled a few wee men on some scrap paper. The guys above are inspired by the mythical 'Red Cap', a dangerous spirit creature that haunts the Scottish borders and dyes his hat in the blood of his victims. Not quite Garfield, but fun to draw.

5 comments:

  1. andrew mcewanOctober 27, 2009

    hahaha these are beastin lol :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://landscapeireland.blogspot.com/

    I like what you have done - don't try to get it perfect - get it out there and see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness I read about redcaps after I stopped travelling down to Galashiels with Alex. I had to drive home alone in the dark! These guys don't look scary though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness I read about redcaps after I stopped travelling down to Galashiels with Alex. I had to drive home alone in the dark! These guys don't look scary though.Love the drawings.

    ReplyDelete